Let me just start with saying, I’m not usually a big fan of sausage or pasta honestly. But this spicy sausage, kale & tortellini soup! Oh my word. It’s soooo good! I made it for my grandparents and they both agreed that it was amazing. Run and make this – you won’t regret it.
I was thinking this might be my favorite soup ever! And then I looked up some of the other soups we’ve made and shared on the blog. And we’ve share SO many good ones. If you like spicy, the spicy thai peanut soup is incredible. Or the Mas Tacos copy cat chicken tortilla soup. Or if you’re looking for some delicious comfort food, the creamy chicken and wild rice is for you!
- 1 lb hot italian sausage (you can go with mild if you don't like the spice)
- 1 tbso extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- pinch red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups kale, stems removed, chopped
- 10 oz cheese tortellini
- parmesan cheese (to top soup if desired)
Heat olive oil in saute pan, add sausage and cook until brown.
Drain grease (save 1 tbsp).
Add tbsp grease, onions and garlic to large sauce pan or stock pot and cook for 5-8 minutes.
Add chicken broth, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and crushed red pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Return sausage to pot, cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Stir in heavy cream, kale, and tortellini, cover and simmer for another 7-9 minutes.
Serve immediately. (Add parmesan if desired.)