Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables. And these fries, probably my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes. We’ve been making these for years in our house. Cinnamon and paprika seem like an odd choice to go together, but trust me, this works! These fries do not get super crispy, but the flavor more than makes up for it. We actually tried frying them before, but they weren’t as good to me. Letting sweet potatoes bake in the oven brings out their best flavor, and while frying them in oil did make them crispier, I much prefer baking them. Plus, so much better for you!
I must also confess that probably part of the draw for these fries, besides their deliciousness, is the dip. I am a huge fan of dips. I will pretty much love anything if there’s a yummy dip to go along with it. And this dip is very yummy. It’s the perfect companion to these fries. (Although my older two boys prefer to dip their fries in honey, which is another good choice if you’re not a fan of zesty dips).
OVEN BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES
1 – 1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray very lightly with cooking spray.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into strips that are about 1/2 inch wide on each side.
- Place the sweet potatoes into a resealable plastic bag. Add oil, salt, paprika, cinnamon and cornstarch. Seal the bag and shake well to thoroughly coat the fries. Spread the potatoes out onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Make sure your fries don’t overlap.
- Cook for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, until slightly browned. Transfer immediately to a paper towel lined plate and serve warm.
ZESTY RANCH DIP
3 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp sour cream
1/2 tsp ranch dressing/dip dry mix
1/4 tsp red pepper (I always add a little bit more than this…I like it spicy!)
a couple dashes Frank’s Red Hot
- Stir together all ingredients until combined. Store covered in the refrigerator.
Source: fries barely adapted from Sarah’s Cucina Bella
Happy dipping! Manda